We spent yesterday afternoon finishing off digging the pond. Orik slept, Jasper and Allegra got muddy and helped and I dug dug dug. Today I ache ache ache. 😦
But the pond is dug. I am stoked. I need to finish off building up one of the walls, get a small layer of sand in the bottom to level it completely and then I can line it with pond liner and then I can start filling it. 😀 I also finished off the drain inlet. Our road is a small one with a hill and there are few houses, none past us so there is not too much traffic and a good slope for run off. I intend to harvest that run off to fill the pond, then the overflow will run off through the swales/hugelkultur beds before draining into the creek. I may have another small pond in there somewhere too but I’m not sure yet.
The kids had a ball digging up the sloppiest stickiest balls of clay they could find to
glue set in place the overflow pipe too. Their clothes might need a wash though. The kids also made excellent stompers. The bottom of the pond was pretty churned up but sending 2 kids round and round to as self-imposed chant of ” stomp stomp stomp stomp” worked a treat. They had a ball, the pond got well stomped and flattened and it kept them out of my hair occupied them whilst I sorted out the inlet. 😉
I am so proud of their work and of our effort. 🙂